Information for Families
Strengthening Families programme is a 14 session course designed to help parents and teens build new positive relationships. All groups are run by trained facilitators who have experience of working with children and families in the community.
Stregthening Familes Programme
How does it work?
- Each session lasts for 2 ½ hours a week
- For the first ½ hours, families meet for dinner and to get to know everyone
- After dinner, there are 2 groups – one for parents and one for teens to learn new skills
- In the 2nd hour, families come together to discuss and practice as a whole group.
Benefits for Families
- Increased family quality time
- Learn better communication skills
- Coping with anger and criticism
- Stress management
- Coping peer pressure
- Helps to prevent substance abuse, conduct disorders and depression in teens
- Improve parenting skills and family relationships
What the course covers
In the Parents Group, parents will learn new skills to increase better behaviours in their teens through:
- Clear communication
- Substance use education
- Problem solving
- Limit setting
In the Teen Group, skills are present on how to:
- Communicate positively
- Understand feelings
- Cope with criticism
- Manage stress
- Develop social skills
- Learn problem solving
- Deal with peer pressure
- Understand the consequences of substance abuse
- How short term consequences affect long term dreams and goals.
Sometimes it can be difficult for families to attend so the organisers have tried to make it as easy as possible.
There is childcare available for children aged 4-11 years, and transport can be provided to families who may find it difficult to travel to the programme. There is a meal provided every night for all the family to enjoy before the session starts.
During the programme, families will link in on a weekly basis with the agency that referred them or a Link Person, who is available to support your family and offer help with putting new skills into practice.
Who delivers the programme?
A wide variety of professionals from the community are involved in running the programme, including youth workers, health promotion works, volunteers, counsellors, social workers and community Gardaí.